Learn Where Jake Kissel’s Curiosity About The World Of Cosmetology Has Taken Him, What Ignited Him, What He Is Doing In The World Of Cosmetology Today, What Opened His Eye Up To TSPA Evansville Cosmetology School & How He Overcame People Deterring His Decision. Get Ready To Get Inspired
Jake Kissel grew up next door to me along with his 3 brothers. When we were in the planning stages of the Academy, Jake was really interested in what we were doing and started asking my son, what is a licensed cosmetologist, and the next thing I knew, Jake was the first student to sign an enrollment agreement for TSPA Evansville. Jake started in our first class on July 9, 2007. As a student, Jake was very committed to graduating at the top of his class and took his learning very serious. Jake had all the obstacles that most students and new graduates have with financial being right at the top. While attending TSPA, Jake worked a part time job, sold his paintings on the side and saved his money with a purpose. I still remember how excited he was when he was able to buy his first brand new car on his own merit about 2 years after graduating. Jake worked hard and has continued to work hard and never let anything get in the way of his passion and dreams. What really stands out for me now is Jake’s love of sharing his gifts and talent with others through teaching and mentoring. It’s been a great pleasure to watch Jake Kissel grow as a salon professional and as a person of influence.
~Why did you choose the beauty industry?
I was in a way oblivious to the beauty industry at this point in my life. It was during my gap year from high school that I had to find a career choice that spoke to me. I knew college wasn’t the best fit for me. With my creative background in the arts, I knew I needed something to fuel my creative side. My mentor, Robin Halter, came to me and shared a bit about The Salon Professional Academy/Evansville. I was intrigued by this idea and it sparked a new flame inside me. I signed up shortly after our chat. So as a big picture, the beauty industry chose me.
~How has your decision to attend TSPA influenced your career?
The Salon Professional Academy helped me to become who I am today. It was the birth place of the career of my dreams. The Academy showed me how I can become the best authentic version of myself. I was able to graduate knowing my foundational skills as well as advanced current real world techniques.
~What have you experienced as a licensed cosmetologist?
Wow, so much has happened since graduation. So here are some of the hi-lights.
- Hair and Makeup for movie title, Daylight (filmed in Evansville, IN).
- 3 years at Salon WOW (Evansville, IN)
- 7 years at current salon, Elements of Style Salon and Spa (Eldersburg, MD just west of Baltimore)
- Becoming A Pure Artist 2012 (Pureology)
- Redken Color Certification
- Working alongside with many industry greats like Chris Baran and Ruth Roche
- Attended 5 Exchange classes in NYC
- Worked at Richmond hair show selling products on show floor, presenting on mini stage, and doing behind the scenes hair for Pureology.
- Worked at the Jerry Garcia Foundation Concert and had the opportunity to do hair for Peter Frampton, Grace Potter, Eric Church and Allie Kral.
- Attended the London Redken Symposium 2014
- Attended the Las Vegas Redken Symposium 2015 working show floor and behind the scenes hair for the event
- Became Co- Owner and Education Director of my salon company, Elements of Style Salon and Spa in 2017
- Level 4A stylist and associate trainer.
- Stand up for Hero’s event NYC 2017
- Featured on Michel Cole’s FB Live January 2018
- Motivational Speaker at Cosmetology Schools
- Will be working behind the scenes at New York Fashion Week-February 2018
~How has the beauty industry impacted your life?
I wouldn’t be in the position I am today, if I hadn’t made the decision to become a student at TSPA Evansville I have been able to touch the lives of thousands of guest working behind the chair. Sometimes all anyone needs is someone to talk to and have them listen. I love bringing joy to my guests with my personality and skill.
I was told by managers at prior jobs, by family and friends that this industry couldn’t offer me much money or opportunity. I have always had a strong will and I pushed myself to prove the haters wrong. I’m happy to say that I have reached a 6 figure income. This is not to brag but to shed light on the earning potential that is available if you put in the hard work.
Another huge impact in my life is my ability to travel the world, which seemed out of reach in my life before. Learn better, Earn better, Live better is the Redken mantra. This mantra has helped me be able to grow and focus my goals towards something and achieve them. Anything is possible when you have a road map to a goal.
~What advice would you give to someone thinking about attending school to become a cosmetologist, esthetician, nail tech, etc?
If you truly want to make an impact in your community and even the world then this is for you. We all hold the greatness within us to become what we want in life. The biggest piece of advice I can give; You drive your own car and no one else. You may have people in your life that may try to detour you from this career, but you need to listen to what your heart is telling you. There are so many opportunities within this great industry and we are waiting for you to show up.